Lavender, which may also be known as Elf Leaf, Nard, Nardus or Spike, consists of 39 individual species of flowering plants and is part of the mint family. It is native to the Old World and is found throughout southern Europe and across to northern and eastern Africa, in the Mediterranean, and across south-west Asia to south-east India. Many members of the lavender family are cultivated extensively in temperate climates as ornamental plants for garden and landscape use, and also commercially for the extraction of essential oils.
Lavender flowers tend to grow in whorls, held on spikes rising above the leaves below. The flowers may be blue, violet or lilac and occasionally blackish purple or yellowish in color.
Lavender Essential Oil is used extensively in Aromatherapy and is prised for its calming, balancing qualities. Lavender is also renowned as a treatment for cuts, scrapes burns, bug bites and minor injuries of all kinds.
Lavender is related to the elements of Earth and Air and is sacred to Hecate, Saturn and Vesta. It also has strong magickal connections to the month of June, the Sabbats of Beltane, Candlemas and Litha, and the Astrological signs of Aquarius, Cancer, Gemini and Virgo.
Lavender may be used to enhance the following kinds of magickal workings:
Anointing, Astral Travel, Attraction, Beauty, Blessing, Breaking Negative Habits, Chastity, Cleansing, Communication, Divination, Dragon Magic, Dreams, Enchantment, Freedom, Peace, Handfasting, Harmony, Healing, Immortality, Intellect, Joy, Love, Luck, Money, Peace, Protection, Psychic Powers, Purification, Rest, Self-Improvement, Sexuality, Sleep, Study, Tranquility, Travel, Wisdom, Wishes
Here is my Lovely Lavender Wishing Powder for you to try!
1/2 Cup Lavender Flowers
1 - 2 tsp Lavender, Violet or Silver glitter
1 - 2 drops Lavender EO (as needed)
1 - 2 tsp Amethyst or Clear Quartz gemstone chips
1 - 2 tsp Lavender, Violet or Silver confetti (stars and moons would make lovely additions)
Place all ingredients into a large bowl, preferably with a lid. Cover your bowl and, while focusing on your intention, sending healing energy, singing or chanting or othewise empowering the ingredients in your bowl to work magick for you, shake your powder until well combined.
If you find the shaking method awkward or feel that it doesn’t work well for you, you may also use a wooden spoon and stir your powder together. If you’re unsure, try both methods and see what works best for you!
Ideas for using your new Wishing Powder:
* Take a pinch of the powder and hold it in your hand. Focus strongly on a wish for your immediate future, keeping the uses of Lavender listed above in mind. When you feel the powder pulsing with the energy of your wish in your hand, release it to the wind, drop it in running water, or sprinkle it on the earth.
* Use to enhance any candle magick you may be working at this time by sprinkling the powder around the candle’s base before you begin or by anointing the candle with oil and rolling in the powder before burning.
* Use to mark the borders of your circle in any upcoming Litha (June 21) New Moon (June 19) or Full Moon (July 3) rituals.
* Scatter over your altar to cleanse your sacred space and enhance any work you may be doing to break negative habits, learn astral travel, enhance prophetic dreaming, or bring more healing and joy into your life right now.
* Pour into specific shapes such as runes to enhance any spells you may be working.
* Sprinkle around your place of business to ease conflicts, open lines of communication, enhance a feeling of peace and harmony, attract money and protect your business intersts.
* Sprinkle inside your home, car, or wallet to enhance your overall prosperity, attract beneficial relationships into your life, and to protect your posessions from theft or the harmful actions of others.
* Sprinkle over your money, checks, checkbook, credit cards and other financial documents to banish debt and increase prosperity.
* Set out in a pretty dish as potpourri to maintain a tranquil home environment, help you sleep more peacefully, or to help you study.
* If you know anyone who is getting married or having a birthday in June, you could create a special powder just for them to give as a gift!
* Scatter anywhere you need magickal energy!